This healthy, dairy-free roasted vegetable soup hits the spot on a cold or chilly day. It tastes even better the next day, so consider making a double or triple batch. It will be stored in the refrigerator for several days or frozen for a quick lunch or light dinner later.
- 1½ lbs. Roma tomatoes, halved
- 2 medium red bell peppers, deseeded and quartered
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 medium shallots, outer skin removed and halved
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 T. fresh thyme leaves
- 4 c. organic chicken broth
- ½ c. full-fat coconut milk
- ½ c. fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large, rimmed sheet tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Arrange the tomatoes, red peppers, fennel, carrots, shallots, and garlic in a single layer on the prepared sheet tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper to taste. Toss to combine and sprinkle veggies with fresh thyme leaves.
- Place sheet tray in preheated oven and roast until vegetables are tender and lightly charred, approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer the roasted veggies and any juices from the baking sheet to a large soup pot and add chicken broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until hot and and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the contents of the soup pot until completely smooth. Stir in the coconut milk and fresh basil right before serving. Enjoy!
Safety Tip: If you don't have a stick or immersion blender, you can also process the roasted veggies and liquid in a blender. However, ensure the blender lid is adequately vented to prevent the hot liquid from exploding.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g