When sweet elderberry meets a fiery jalapeño, fireworks go off on your taste buds. The Elderberry & Jalapeño Margarita recipe is a pairing you will not want to miss. Pair it with muddled jalapeño, and get this tangy elderberry margarita cocktail that adds spice to your senses.
Whether you had too many jalapeños in your garden this summer or you're always up for some heat, this drink hits at any time of year and any occasion.
Why you'll love this spicy cocktail
When it comes to margaritas, there are many options. But if you're looking for something a bit different, this elderberry-jalapeño concoction is just the ticket.
The tart berries and spicy peppers add an exciting flavor to the classic sweet-and-sour mix of tequila, lime juice, and simple syrup that makes up most margaritas. And did I mention it's easy?
Just measure ingredients, throw them into a pitcher with some ice cubes and shake until everything's nice and cold—about 60 seconds or so should do it!
- Elderberry infused vinegar
- Blanco tequila
- Triple sec
- Minced jalapeno peppers: You can also replace this recipe's jalapeño with another heat source. If you want something spicy but not too hot, try substituting two thinly sliced habanero peppers (with seeds removed) for the jalapeños; if you're feeling brave, go ahead and use those peppers whole!
- Freshly squeezed lime juice: If you don't have a glass citrus juicer, squeeze the limes with your hands or use a citrus reamer (a wooden tool to remove seeds and pulp from citrus fruit). If all else fails, use a lime zester—that's what I had on hand when I made this margarita!
- Measure out your chosen tequila into a shaker with ice.
- triple sec, elderberry syrup, lime juice, and jalapeno pepper into a shaker filled with ice
- Shake vigorously for about 20 seconds until well chilled
- Strain into salt-rimmed glasses filled with ice
- add the garnish of your choice and serve immediately.
How to Serve this Drink
Have fun garnishing this sweet and spicy drink! Top it with a couple of slices of fresh or pickled jalapeños if you're looking for more heat or swap that with a little wedge of lime. If you have time before and think of it, make sure to start with a salt rim to get the good margarita flavor profile going.
The Elderberry & Jalapeño Margarita recipe is a pairing you will not want to miss. Pair it with muddled jalapeño, and get this tangy elderberry margarita cocktail that adds spice to your senses.
- 2 oz elderberry tonic
- 2 oz Blanco tequila
- 1 oz triple sec
- Juice of 1 lime
- One tablespoon minced Jalapeno pepper (remove seeds for less heat)
- Freshly sliced jalapenos (optional)
- Lime wedge or twist
- Salt for rim
- Pour tequila, triple sec, elderberry syrup, lime juice, and jalapeno pepper into a shaker with ice
- Shake well
- Strain into salt-rimmed glasses
- Serve immediately with a twist of lime and jalapeno slices
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 314mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 3gSugar: 20gProtein: 1g