Discover the secret to making the best strawberry rhubarb crisp with this easy and delicious recipe. This recipe has everything from the perfect balance of tartness and sweetness to tips for accommodating different dietary needs. Let's dive in!
Why is this the best Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp?
Combining juicy strawberries and tart rhubarb creates a perfect balance of flavors in this crisp. The crisp topping perfectly complements the fruity filling with its delightful buttery texture and a touch of cinnamon. Every bite is a symphony of flavors that will leave you wanting more.
How to Make Rhubarb Crisp with Strawberries
Follow these simple steps to create a heavenly dessert that will impress your family and friends:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and grease a baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine sliced rhubarb, fresh strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Gently mix until the fruits are coated.
- Transfer the fruit mixture to the greased baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
- Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt in a separate bowl. Cut in cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the oat topping over the fruit mixture, ensuring an even distribution.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the fruit is bubbly.
- Allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Cooling the Rhubarb Crisp
After baking, it's important to let the rhubarb crisp cool slightly before digging in. This allows the filling to set and the flavors to meld together. Serve warm or at room temperature for the perfect crisp and gooey goodness balance.
What Can I Substitute for the Rhubarb?
If you can't access rhubarb or prefer an alternative flavor profile, fret not! You can easily substitute the rhubarb with an equal amount of another fruit, such as apples, peaches, or raspberries. The crisp will still be delicious, just with a different twist.
How to Make This Rhubarb Crisp Recipe Gluten-Free
For those following a gluten-free diet, this recipe can be easily adapted. Simply swap out all-purpose flour with a gluten-free blend or almond flour in the crisp topping. Be sure to check that all other ingredients used are also gluten-free.
To accommodate a vegan lifestyle, a few easy swaps can make this rhubarb crisp recipe vegan:
- Replace unsalted butter with vegan butter or coconut oil in the crisp topping.
- Use a plant-based sweetener, like maple syrup or agave, instead of regular sugar.
- Check that the oats used are certified gluten-free and free from cross-contamination with animal products.
Does Rhubarb Crisp Need to be Refrigerated?
Yes, it's recommended to refrigerate any leftover rhubarb crisp. Cover the baking dish tightly with cling film or transfer the crisp to an airtight container. It will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days. When ready to enjoy, reheat in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 10-15 minutes or until warmed.
With this exceptional strawberry rhubarb crisp recipe in your repertoire, you're ready to treat your taste buds to a delightful dessert experience. Enjoy the tantalizing flavors and share the love of rhubarb crisp with your loved ones!
- 16 ounces of strawberries, whole or halved
- 16 ounces of rhubarb
- 1 cup plus 3 Tablespoons of sugar
- 6 Tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with non-stick spray or grease and lightly flour the pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the fruit with 1 cup of sugar, 2 Tablespoons of butter, cornstarch, and vanilla. Blend well. Pour into your prepared baking pan.
- Combine the flour, egg, salt, 3 Tablespoons of sugar, and the remaining butter in a medium bowl. Mix until crumbly (I like to cut it with 2 knives) and sprinkle over the fruit.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown. Serve warm with evaporated milk or ice cream.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 79mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 8gProtein: 3g