What is simple syrup?
Simple syrup is a sweetener made by mixing equal parts sugar and water, then boiling the mixture until it's dissolved. It's used in cocktails to sweeten and balance out flavors and dissolve other ingredients like bitters.
The most common use of simple syrup is in making cocktails—but you can also add it to baked goods or use it as an alternative to simple syrup in any drink.
- Sugar (or a mix of sugar and water)
- Lemon juice (optional)
- Vanilla bean (optional)
- Cinnamon sticks (optional)
- Measure out all the ingredients and add them to a medium saucepan into a large pot.
- Turn on a burner on low and occasionally stir until the sugar has completely dissolved (about 5 minutes).
- Once sugar is incorporated, remove from heat and set aside.
- Let your simple syrup cool completely before straining through a fine mesh sieve into an airtight container or bottle with a tight-fitting lid.
- Simple syrup can be stored in your refrigerator for up to two months or frozen indefinitely in small containers as needed.
To make rich simple syrup (1:2)
Rich simple syrup is the sweetener you want in cocktails served on the rocks since it dissolves more quickly than regular simple syrup. It also adds a bit of depth and complexity to your drink. Rich simple syrup can be made with a ratio of 1:2 or even 1:3 water-to-sugar, depending on how much sugar you want in your cocktail. All you need to do is heat up equal parts sugar and water (for example, one cup each) until all the sugar dissolves, then let it cool down before using it!
To make demerara simple syrup (1:1)
Demerara simple syrup (1:1): combine 1 cup demerara sugar and 1 cup water in a saucepan over medium heat.
To make honey simple syrup (1:2)
- Combine 1 cup of honey and 2 cups of water in a small saucepan
- Heat mixture over medium heat until the honey dissolves completely, occasionally stirring to help it dissolve faster.
- Once dissolved, turn off the burner and move off of the heat.
- Let cool completely before straining your syrup through a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth into another bowl or jar (or whatever you're going to store it in).
Storing and shelf life
Store your syrup in a mason jar or airtight container in the fridge for a couple of months. Freezing also works, and you can keep it for much longer. If you make your simple syrup in advance, be sure you label it, so you know what's inside.
Simple syrup is commonly used in cocktails, but it has other uses as well:
- Add it to coffee or tea for a sweet flavor boost.
- Use it in baking to add moisture and sweetness.
- Use simple syrup as an alternative to sugar when making sodas or smoothies.
Equipping up on this recipe will let you enjoy cocktails like never before!
Simple syrup is a sweetener for cocktails, and it's made with a simple ratio of sugar and water. It's used in many cocktails like a daiquiri, mojito, and even old-fashioned. Making simple syrup at home gives you control over what goes into your cocktail and lets you use the best ingredients possible.