These sweet roasted mini peppers are a perfect way to use fresh ones in your meals throughout the year. Roasting them brings out their natural sweetness and adds a delicate flavor that enhances salads, soups, pizzas, and more.
Roasting is a good option when it's too cold to pull out the grill. While you can certainly freeze mini peppers to preserve them, roasting them first is an easy method that gives you an improved flavor profile over freezing or canning them without altering their texture.
Roasted peppers are a staple in many cuisines, from Italian to Middle Eastern. They're tasty, but roasting them intensifies their flavor and mellows their acidity. This recipe is so easy that even the most novice cook can make it in no time.
So if you want to add a roasted flavor to your recipes year-round, this is a great option!
Why you'll love this recipe
Roasted vegetables are fantastic to have in the kitchen. They're easy to prepare and super versatile.
Roasting softens their texture, making it easier to slice them thinly, and makes for a delicious side dish. There are a few ways to roast them: an oven broiler, a gas grill, and even an air fryer (and its cousin, the convection oven). With a few simple ingredients on the high heat from your range, you're only there less than an hour away from a great sandwich spread or an easy vegetable snack.
- Italian sweet mini peppers: I usually find bags of sweet mini peppers in the produce section. They are a mix of red peppers.
- Extra virgin olive oil or cooking spray
- Kosher Salt and black pepper to taste
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray it with nonstick cooking spray (I like using nonstick cooking spray because it's easier to clean up). Next, wash your peppers and pat them dry with paper towels.
I like to roast whole peppers, but if you'd like to cut the larger mini peppers in half lengthwise, that will work too! Next, place peppers in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Then, just toss them in a bit of oil and a pinch of salt.
Roast them in a preheated oven for 30 minutes, then with a pair of kitchen tongs or a spatula, turn them over and return the sheet pan to the oven for 10 minutes or until they are softened and dull in color and you can see some nice dark spots on them.
If they are not to that point at the ten-minute mark, roast them for longer.
Once they are ready, remove them from the heat and use them immediately, or store them in an airtight container once it's come to room temperature.
These mini sweet peppers take on another level once they are roasted! These roasted mini sweet peppers are great to have on hand because they're so versatile! Here are some different ways to use them.
My favorite way to eat these mini peppers is on top of toasted bread with whipped feta cheese or ricotta, topped with small roasted pepper topped with coarse sea salt. It's an easy summer appetizer, and it's packed with flavor.
Add to a charcuterie board.
Add these roasted peppers whole to a snacking board or a charcuterie spread, as this will be a lovely complement to some soft cheeses and cured meats.
Savory sandwich spead
These little peppers per perfect as a sandwich spread. Add some spices, vinegar, and oil, to a food processor and blend your mix until it's roughly chopped. Then, add them to a veggie sandwich with a spread of Boursin or goat cheese.
Roasted Pepper Cream Cheese
Either as a dip or to top a bagel, slice peppers and add them to some cream cheese.
Roasting these Italian sweet mini peppers in the oven is one of the easiest ways to add extra flavor to a sandwich or extend the life of your produce.
- 1 /2-pound mini sweet peppers (about 10)
- Two tablespoons olive oil divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Leave whole or cut off the tops of each pepper (be careful not to cut into the pepper itself). Scoop out all seeds and take off any extra skin.
- Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil or cooking spray (I prefer cooking spray).
- Season with salt and pepper, then toss well until evenly coated.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes until peppers are tender but not mushy from baking too long (the time will depend on how hot your oven runs).
- Remove from oven, transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately or store in an airtight container once they are cool.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 130Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 83mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g